REGIONE SICILIANA - Piano straordinario per il lavoro in Sicilia: opportunità giovani Priorità 3: Formazione Giovani Progetto IUVARE ID PDF

Regione Siciliana REGIONE SICILIANA - Piano straordinario per il lavoro in Sicilia: opportunità giovani Priorità 3: Formazione Giovani Progetto IUVARE ID 535 CIP: 2007.IT.051.PO.003/II/D/F/9.2.1/0299 CUP:

Please download to get full document.

View again

of 5
All materials on our website are shared by users. If you have any questions about copyright issues, please report us to resolve them. We are always happy to assist you.

Arts & Architecture

Publish on:

Views: 14 | Pages: 5

Extension: PDF | Download: 0

Regione Siciliana REGIONE SICILIANA - Piano straordinario per il lavoro in Sicilia: opportunità giovani Priorità 3: Formazione Giovani Progetto IUVARE ID 535 CIP: 2007.IT.051.PO.003/II/D/F/9.2.1/0299 CUP: G46G Ambito: FAS Sede di svolgimento: Milazzo (ME) Corso di formazione per Operatore/trice turistico/a addetto/a alla valorizzazione delle risorse culturali locali ID MODULO: LINGUA INGLESE PER LA PROFESSION E (210 teoria) DOCENTE: MARABELLO MARIA ANGELA THE LOW CITY MILAZZO The historic New Town began its development between the fourteenth and fifteenth century. In, the second '700 it assumed its present day (actual) urban structure and architecture. After 1860 with the demolition of the walls and ramparts erected in his defense, the further expansion started. Numerous palaces, two Liberty villas, the neoclassical City Hall, St. Stephen s Cathedral (with notable works of art) and the Churches of Mount Carmel, St. James, St. Mary Major, the SS Crucifix and St. Catherine of Alexandria of Byzantine origin, are worthy of consideration. The beautiful and panoramic Lungomare Garibaldi, with the picturesque district of Vaccarella opposes the enchanting Riviera di Ponente, whose wide beach looking to the nearby Aeolian Islands evokes the poetic memories of the legends of Homer. THE OLD TOWN The Medieval Village the ancient heart of Milazzo preserves the spirit of the past among views, staircases and evidences of history and art. MARABELLO MARIA ANGELA 1 Between the Spanish Military Quarter and the mighty ramparts (bastions) of the Citadel there are the Shrine of St. Francis of Paola, the Church Fortress of San Rocco, the historical Palace of the Viceroys and Governors, the Churches of the Immaculate Conception and of Our Lady of the Rosario, of the S.S.Salvatore and St. Joseph. In the convents and noble residences as in the alleys there are the signs of an historical past. CASTLE It is the most famous monument of Milazzo. It was started by Muslims (tenth century) on the ancient Greek roman byzantine foundations and strengthened by the Normans. The Mastio assumed its actual configuration by Frederick of Swabia. Under Alfonso of Aragon (1456) it was enclosed by a curtain of walls with towers; under Charles V it was further locked up by the powerful and sixteenth century Spanish city . (The Spaniards surrounded it with massive walls). In a corner of the medieval walls we can notice an interesting, strange drawing created by black blocks of lava rock. According to some experts it is the eye of the falcon Horus, the Egyptian symbol of invincibility; according to others it is a stylized magic insect, a beetle, in whose eyes the sun goes straight on the day of the summer solstice (21 June). As one of the main strongholds of Sicily, kings, princes, viceroys, ministers and prelates found within its walls defense and hospitality. In its ten centuries of history, the castle was the key to the defense of the eastern Sicily and the scene of numerous significant events. Inside we can see the imposing old cathedral. The remains of Jurors Palace (fourteenth century) are interesting: later they were placed in a religious building used as a new seat of the Civic Senate. LEGENDS AND CURIOSITIES The Cage. In 1928, a strange metal cage of torture was found, moulded on a human skeleton missing legs and arms. It was discovered that the cage was used to torture an English traitor: he was mutilated and thrown to die in this cage in front of other fellow soldiers. Today, the cage is at the Criminology Museum of Rome. The Cannon Ball. During the famous battle of Milazzo between Garibaldi and Bourbons held on July 1860, a cannon shot fired by the Bourbons smashed against the wall of S.Francis of Paola s church, let it undamaged. The cannon ball is still set in the wall where there is also a memorial plaque to bear witness that epic day. The ghost of the Castle. Also Milazzo s castle has its beautiful ghost. A girl of noble rank was desperately fallen in love with a soldier. Unfortunately the family didn t accept the story between them and they forced her to become a nun observing strict enclosure. But they continued to meet until a day they were caught in the act and the poor girl was buried alive in the walls of the castle. She is seen in the moonlit nights of March, wandering painfully near the castle followed by a procession of damned souls. MARABELLO MARIA ANGELA 2 CHURCHES Old Cathedral. Monument of great architectonic interest. It is located within the walled city, and its construction was begun in 1608: unique work mannerist in Sicily with plant and dome of Tuscany stamp. The Cathedral was built to replace the old St.Mary s Cathedral, which was demolished in 1568 for military and strategic reasons. Between the Old Cathedral and the Castle, there is the restored Palace of the Jurors, then seat of the Senate of the city. Saint Stephen s Cathedral. The New Cathedral is dedicated to Saint Stephen Protomartyr. It was built by the architect Francesco Valenti in 1937 and opened for worship in The church has a nave and two aisles and it preserves notable works of art from ancient churches of the city. Shrine (Sanctuary) of St. Francis of Paola. This is the only shrine of the saint in Sicily, and it was built between 1464 and 1467, for his will during his stay in the city, where he worked many miracles. St. Catherine of Alexandria. Small Byzantine church (VIII century) with artistic marble statue of the Saint by Vincenzo Gagini (1552). St. James the Apostle. Erected in 1434 (XVI century altars) it has paintings of the '700 and frescoes of 1481 and Carmine Church. (XVI century), it was rebuilt with the adjoining historical monastery in the middle of the '700. Santa Maria Maggiore. In the district of Vaccarella you can admire this church built between 1610 and 1621 and remodeled in the neoclassical style; it is adorned with frescoes, paintings and stuccoes works of XVIII century. From the historical point of view, it s linked to the events of Garibaldi s Thousand (July 1860). Here Garibaldi took a rest at the end of the battle against Bourbon forces. Our Lady of the Rosario. As church of the Dominicans (1538), with frescoes and stuccoes, it was with the adjoining Convent of the Preachers, the seat of the Holy Office and the Court of the Inquisition. S.S.Salvatore. Benedictine church rebuilt in 1775, it contains oils, stuccoes and frescoes of the eighteenth century Shrine of St. Anthony of Padua. Located at the end of the promontory, Capo Milazzo, it is a cave where the saint took shelter after being shipwrecked on the coast in January In 1232 it was transformed into a place of worship, faith and pilgrimage. PLACES AND HISTORY THE PALACE OF THE VICEROYS AND GOVERNORS gave hospitality, in its three centuries of history, to many celebrities including Don John of Austria and Louis Philippe d'orléans. MARABELLO MARIA ANGELA 3 EVIDENCES OF THE DEED (EXPLOIT) OF A THOUSAND are found in the historical Milazzo Bridge , built to commemorate the famous battle of July 20, 1860; in the Freedom Monument or the Statue of Liberty, built in honor of Garibaldi; in the Palace of the Marquis Proto; in Santa Maria Maggiore and in two tombstones on the report of the Town Hall. TWO SANCTUARIES are related to their living saints: that of Capo Milazzo very impressive, it was the refuge of St. Anthony of Padua (1221). The other was founded by Saint Francis of Paola, who lived in Milazzo in working many miracles. Both are centers of ancient faith and pilgrimage. ST.ANTHONY. They say that in one of the caves of the Bay of Capo Milazzo, St. Anthony of Padova lived in meditation and prayer. The cave is beautiful and can be visited descending a panoramic stairway in the cliff of Capo Milazzo. On the night of 12 and 13 June, pilgrims arrive on foot to the cave for devotion. It is said that the Saint blesses especially the unmarried girls who want to get the grace to find her husband. ST.FRANCIS OF PAOLA. St. Francis of Paola, known for his kindness, humility and zeal; his faith in the Lord allowed him to work the miracle of the crossing of the Strait of Messina ploughing the troubled waves of the sea on his cloak. The feast of St. Francis, the patron of seafarers, is celebrated on the first Sunday in May; this is followed by the celebration of the Berrettella, in which a relic of the saint (headgear) is carried in pilgrimage on the waters of the sea in front of the promontory. THE QUARTERS PALACE E PARK remind the stays and the royal splendours of Frederick of Swabia and of the kings of Aragon James and Frederick. THE JEW HILL and SYNAGOGUE STREET bear witness to the existence of a small and prosperous Jewish community (X XV century). THE MYTH OF CYCLOPS AND LEGENDARY EXPLOIT OF ULYSSES, sung by Homer, is present in the cave of Polyphemus, place of ancient prehistoric discoveries. MUSEUMS Antiquarian Archaeology Domenico Ryolo The building that gives hospitality to the museum (a white, elegant building) is an ex women's Bourbon prison created in 1816 with the typical features of the military buildings of the time. The collection exhibits some finds discovered during researches in the areas of the necropolis. Among the objects there are some little boats and rowers of the second half of the third century B.C., sole pieces used, apparently, for the transfer of souls and also some funeral objects dating back to a period between the end of the fifth century to the third century B.C.. Tunny nets and Sea Museum Tunny nets Museum has two divisions: MARABELLO MARIA ANGELA 4 Tunny nets Museums sector with photographs, texts, objects, and other equipment (schematic and executive drawings and teaching cards) with boats still extant integrated by small wooden models of the disappeared ones, with anchors and equipment used in fishing and in the fish manufacture; Maritime Activities sector with maps, charts, drawings, nautical instruments (compasses, sextants), exhibition of archeological underwater finds. The warehouses retain the charm of the notable stratification of the walls that followed at different times; they occupy about 1,000 square feet and have entrances both on the road and the sea side, through which boats used for tuna fishing were introduced and kept. MARABELLO MARIA ANGELA 5
Related Search
Similar documents
View more...
We Need Your Support
Thank you for visiting our website and your interest in our free products and services. We are nonprofit website to share and download documents. To the running of this website, we need your help to support us.

Thanks to everyone for your continued support.

No, Thanks